Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hiking Adventures

Alright everybody, sorry it's taken so long to write, we've been really busy. Between work and the Fire Department, I've gotten a little behind on the blog. I got back from Juneau and learned that I passed all my tests for my EMT 2 certification. Now just to play the waiting game. The Fire Department has kept me pretty busy, between keeping up with inventory for the ambulances and my duties as Vice President of the Firefighters Association I do about 20 hours of work with the department not including emergency responses.
We have been blessed with a set of missionaries here in Skagway, and the branch has been busy feeding them. Callista and I have fed them twice already.

Yep! They're pretty great guys. Elder Dean is actually from Brigham City and went to Utah State for a semester. Elder Ames is from Indiana and he's almost done with his mission! They are both really great. We fed them the first time right after Elder Dean was transferred here. It's nice to have them over and just spend time with them. It reminds me of a long time ago when my family used to have the Elders over every week for dinner. They were really good examples and really taught me a lot. We keep in touch with most of them still. And..of course...mission stories lead to more mission stories. So, Tom and the rest of the guys have had the opportunity to share about their missions as well. It's been kinda fun. And they eat what we cook...no matter what it looks like. :)

Not too much else has happened. We're just living life and keeping busy. Work has been getting better. I've had some drama, but nothing too terrible. I've got the job down...mostly. I'm getting about 7 hours of overtime every week though. So...that's been nice for the paychecks. I love my co-workers! We actually had a dinner on Wells Fargo because one of my favorite people, Valerie, decided to leave. She had just had a baby and she really needed to spend more time at home. So, we all went out to dinner for a good-bye dinner. And..it was a blast! I'd never been in that kind of environment before...where everyone but you is drinking. And I'd also never smelt beer before...it's yeasty. If that's what it tastes like then I have no idea where the pull in drinking is. AND! After the work party, Tom and I went to dance night at the Red Onion with some of my coworkers. It was a blast! I loved it. We had to leave early because Tom had a rafting thing the next day with the fire department.

Yeah, I took an emergency raft handling course on the Taiya river, it was a little cold. We spent some time in the river learning to flip rafts, of course we had dry suits on. we learned to pull people out of the river and learned to raft where you really don't want to raft(to save victims). It was a really good class, I learned a lot, but my arms were pretty sore after that.

We've been going hiking more. Which...we haven't done in a few weeks cause we've been busy and I REALLY wanna go again. We've gone up to Lower Lake (which almost killed me with the asthma) and we've done Smugglers and some kinda point....*looks at Tom*


Yukatania point, I actually put a fire out there this morning. Somebody left a campfire burning and it was still smoldering this morning and had started to spread. A good way to start the day.

So, two weeks ago Callista and I took a trip to Whitehorse. Our friends Danny and Kenna came along. We ate lunch at subway, went grocery shopping, went to Walmart. We also went to see the new X-Men movie. And we went to get Sushi for dinner. Callista was not excited about that.

I must admit...I was NOT excited about the sushi. But guess what? After YEARS of absolute determined hatred for sushi....I fell in love. I crave it all the time now. It was DELICIOUS! I can't believe that I wasted my entire life refusing to eat something so yummy. First stop next time we get home? Sushi...and Wendy's. Maybe a few hours apart though. *wink*

Back to the Whitehorse thing though....everybody was like, "Oh, Whitehorse is so great! You'll love it! It's so much bigger than here!" So, what was Callista expecting? A city. Guess what I got? A town. It's smaller than Logan by A LOT! But they did have "real" grocery stores and we got to go and see that movie. I was so excited! I LOVED IT! But I love X-Men movies period. I have watched all of them since then because I got a really strange craving for them...similar to the sushi. :)
AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON THE WAY BACK I FINALLY GOT TO SEE SOME BEARS! UP CLOSE! I WAS SO DANG EXCITED! They were two little black bears, but they were so cute! Tom had to lock to car to keep me from getting out. The first one was just so tiny...I was positive that he wouldn't hurt me. He was just so cute! Next stop....GRIZZLY BEARS! I need to see one. Like legitimately. A lot of times. And then my trip will be over and I can go home a satisfied girl.


Callista and I went to a Summer Solstice party at Jewell Gardens last week(I know, a little early), It was a lot of fun. I played a few numbers with the Steamrollers(my Bluegrass Band) and we went and saw a demonstration at the glass blowing studio. It was a lot of fun, they made a beautiful vase, and one of their popular floppy bowls. It's always fun to go see.

It was AMAZING!!!!! I love it! I'd never seen anything like that before and it was totally awesome!

I've been working for Alaska Coach Tours a little less than I thought I would. So I'm going to start working for Broadway video again, just a few days a week. Broadway video is Skagway's Radio Shack/Maverick/Blockbuster Video/Tanning Salon, all rolled into one. It's a good job, definately good for a few extra bucks anyway.

Yeah. It'll be good to be getting some more money. And Tom'll like working there.

And...I got a calling! I was called to teach the 3-7 year olds in the primary. I love the primary and I love teaching, so it's a GREAT calling! But it is kind of a difficult calling too. Especially because of the age gaps between the kids. I'm sure that my lesson today wasn't very good either. Tom came into help me. So, he'll know better than me. But I had to prepare a talk and do my lesson today. Yep...I talked on Father's Day. I just talked about remembering our Heavenly Father....especially on Father's Day. I hope it was good. :)


I guess that's all for now.....anything else, sweetheart?

That's all, lets get this sucker published. Happy Father's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment